quarta-feira, 16 de janeiro de 2008

Shell Back

Well, I suppose many of you are not used with the sailor's language and don't have any a hint of what Shell back is. As I receive a Shell back certificate without knowing exactly what it was, I will share with you this strange navy's habit for the sailors who crossed the Equator for their first time.

This is a Shell Back certificate, but not mine...

"Crossing the Equator . . . .

On our way to Singapore, we dipped below the equator to have a crossing the line ceremony. We went from being pollywogs to shellbacks upon completing the appropriate initiation (by the shellback's on board). The initiation comprised of crawling through a canvas chute full of garbage, while they beat the tar out of you with pieces of old fire hoses, and going through several other likewise unpleasantries (i.e., kissing the greased belly of the baby, dunking in the coffin, taking the truth serum, etc.). I remember I was pushing the person in front of me (in the chute) because he wasn't moving fast enough! We also lost chunks of our hair, which they cut out with scissors - most of us all got butch haircuts afterwards. It was an experience. Later on, on the USS Chicago, I got to be on the other side."

oldbluejacket.com/bexar.htm

Beautiful, hum?
Some more, some more!

Shellback Certificate, Which
Was Really More of a
Shellback "Card."



www.solantamity.com/Solant/SolantCruise1.htm

Now if you wonder why and how did I get my ShellBack certificate, I owe it to my friend -and very talented artist- Mack Mcfarland, in which company I had a lot of good time in Portland, OR. While I was back to São Paulo and came back again to USA (to NY this time) he sent me this Shell Back certificate that I received here.

my Shell back certificate

Mack, Tricia, Carl and Regina in Portland. Despite of the photo we were not at the sea that time, you can tell by the drinks.

Nenhum comentário: