sábado, 3 de outubro de 2009

september day 01

September, Day 01

holyhead by the sea

Yes, I decided come to Ireland. It was no easy decision, as I had to carry all my stuff again, and move again (another day, another hotel), go somewhere and find a place, etc.

Not easy at all.

The boat is an incredible experience. This monster that crosses the sea as if it is nothing, carrying inside its belly people, cars, buses, trucks...





My arrival was easy, and I took a train to central Dublin. I’ve been here ten years ago, or so. The city changed to my eyes, look much modern and different. Things here look a bit more expensive than in England, but maybe is my idea. Everything here is in Euro, so it is another value. I did not get the best exchange rate I guess, but only the one I could find.



By other hand the B&B is the more expansive since the hotel in the first night in Penzance, the most of all. Anyway, I just have to enjoy and try to be economical. And remember, it is not everyday you have this privilege to come to this place.

I am here because Ireland has a vast megalithic heritage, and a very special development in the area, so I decided that a quick drop would not be a bad idea. I tried to seize the day, so I went directly to the History Museum, which has a very interesting collection in pre historical Ireland. Unfortunately photos were not allowed, so I can’t share it with you.


But they have interesting pieces from the stone and bronze period, including a vast amount of golden pieces, mainly adorns; a huge boat of almost 15 meter carved in one oak trunk; some bronze cauldrons, weapons, swords and axes. Some amazingly carved stones with spirals and graphic patterns, much more elaborate than the ones seen in Wales. A very special stone hammer (that should be cerimonial) carved very precisely and careful. The people in that age were enough skilled to produce all sort of day to day and ceremonial objects as well monuments and architecture. Ireland is punctuated with mounds, burial chambers and stone circles. The stone carving had a special development here, and been incorporated by the posterior settlers. But this is a very long history, that must be told later... The collection continues through the Iron Age with a beautiful collection of mummies, mostly human sacrifices, although not 100% proved. I said beautiful? Well... a very nice collection indeed.

http://www.museum.ie/en/exhibition/prehistoric-ireland.aspx


Gundestrup Cauldron

They have some pieces dedicated to the Celts – of course, and a replica of the famous Gundestrup Cauldron, a Celtic relic which is kept at the National Museum of Copenhagen.

Tomorrow I planned go in an excursion (yes, I hate that) to Newgrange, which is the most famous burial chamber in Ireland. I am decided to take the excursion because it take the whole day, so it is not a short visit apparently, and it goes not only there, but to other places around. Sounds good. I am so tired of walking in the mud that a bit of bus’n’guided luxury would be nice. Wanna come?

Nenhum comentário: