quinta-feira, 8 de outubro de 2009

Day 03

Day 03

In Galway, which is a port city west of Ireland, the third largest city of the island. I quite like this city, when I’ve been here in 1998, and there it goes ten years, I stayed in a very cheap hostel which was on the top of a butcher, so there were a sign in which you could read “Pork Butcher Hostel”, although it was two distinct business. At that time I had other interests, so not only I have changed as the city did too. It is said to be the city that grows faster in Europe at the moment. Sure it has now modern spots, but some of the old stuff are still there. Some houses, some streets, they never leave one’s memories . Today after my arrival I had time to walk around Galway and enjoy the alleys and the port.




the pork butcher hostel

The city was founded by the Normans in the 12th century, but there are hints of much older occupation, and it is generally accepted that 7000 years ago there were already people living here. From its foundation, the city was informally ruled by fourteen families from England, which organized the trades and the port activity. It’s been under seize in 1652 in the civil war.

a house of one of the fourteen tribes

South of Galway is located The Burren, a National Park, a rocky area of 15 square kilometer, containing no less than 90 stone monuments, although only a few are spot in the Ordnance Survey. No wonder, I have found monolithic sited not in the Ordnance Survey myself.

I have noticed that is not easy to get there if you are not in a tour. Quite bad. I will try it anyway, because I definally don’t like tours. It’s like being rushing all time and it really don’t give you enough room to think about. Mostly of my questions about Newgrange only appeared after I leave the place.

Tomorrow I will see how it works. Most of my information until now were not very encouraging.

Nenhum comentário: