terça-feira, 28 de julho de 2009

Day 24

I will do a kind of a diary,so I can keep my ideas on the tracks, I will try to keep it regular... :)


Day 24
London Penzance



Penzance is close to the area known as “land’s end”, located at the west border of Cornwall, and therefore it is the extreme of the Great Britain island. I choose Penzance for starting my trip for some reasons, the first for being where the mount st. michael is located. The mount st. michael is a very singular construction, being located in an island, and it is only reachable when the tide is low. When the tide is high, it is necessary to get a boat to get there, which is the same that happens with its famous brother, mount san michel in France. The names and the locations of these two are not only by choice, they were deliberately built like that. But I won’t get into the whole thing right now. The mont St. Michael is also where starts the most striking ley line of England, and according to some, it crosses the whole island. True or not, I had to come.

st. Michael's ley line
Other reason that took me here was the location of the city, really close to the end of the island. The end – as I had realized before- is a good way to start walking. Once you are in the end, you just have to come back.or is it just my wishful thinking?
Fact is, I left Lynn’s house in the morning and went to Vitoria coach station, and get a ticket to Penzance. I had arranged with the YMCA hostel to get a room there, but they could not make a reservation withou a credit card, and I should be there before 22:00, because they close the hostel at night (actually, they don’t do it, but the staff leaves). My couch would get in Penzance around that time, so i would have to get very quickly there.
After a while traveling, rain congested roads, it got clear to me that we would get there in time. The trip was beautiful, but I did not took photos, but I should. We went via Plymouth, Bodmin, Wadebridge, Padstow, Newquay, Camborne, St. Erth, until get to Penzance. In the end I was the only one in the bus (apart of the driver), and I realized I would not get in time to the hostel. So I just had to look after a hotel around 23:00 in the night. It was tough, but after around an hour I just could find the place where I am now for the night, a very beautiful hotel by the sea. Tomorrow I may find another cheaper place, but for the first night, I am quite well.

Nenhum comentário: