terça-feira, 28 de julho de 2009

Day 25


Day 25
Penzance, Madron, Land’s End
The breakfast at Queen’s hotel was something. I don’t imagine what the english people made to deserve such a mess: mushrooms with baked beans and scrambled eggs. Covered with ketchup, of course. The dining room was just in front to St Michael’s, so I could enjoy my meal in front of that beauty. First action after the breakfast was look for a new place to stay, and I did not had to walk much: just around I found a very pleasant B&B that received me well, but cannot hold me for tomorrow. The city is really crowded, and tomorrow I will have to look after a new place.
So I went to explore the city, which was much more vivid than the night before, and went to get information about the St Michael’s. what’s is the best time to visit the mount? Not today. Because of the tide? No, because they close on Saturdays. I could not expect such answer. So I got some information about some pre historical sites I was interested, and realized they had no bus to get there, and the only way was to walk. So I got the but to Madron, which is really close to Penzance, and start to walk. It was tough in the beginning with no idea if I was in the right path, but after a while I realized it was alright, and things could be not as far as I imagined at first glance. Very soon I got to the first place I was looking for, an old celtic well and a church just a few meters ago. I got a bit emotional when I get to it. The celtics had such a link to the nature that it is possible to notice even so many years after. The well had a tree with a lot of hanging wishes on it, from modern times, which shows that it still has its followers nowadays.


celtic wishing well


celtic church
The church although indicates no much ornaments, still had some walls. I got very happy to find the nature of England, which looks always confined between the crop fields.
Time to get the road again, I went after Lanyon Quoit, an old dolmen which stands alone in the field. I was a bit worried before getting there, because of the distance, but when I got over a fence to look around, it was there, less than 100 meters.

It was an amazing surprise, because it was about to rain, and find shelter under a dolmen would be an extraordinary experience. I did not need it anyway, and I could examine it with all my time.



Lanyon Quoit

Lanyon Quoit is very simple and amazing construction. All of its parts faces distinct angles, making of it a very dinamic structure. The stone on the top looks in a very good position. If these people which constructed the dolmen did not had any idea of aesthetics, at least they had achieved its objective. The structure stands there for dozens of hundreds of years, which is quite impressive. We can’t figure out what it was meant for, but it would be no wonder it it could relate to some astronomical position, for the position of its parts and the other stones around it too. Very close to it there were a little water pond, and all around it stones in specific places could be part of a more structured plan.
After leaving the Quoit, I find the way to the very mysterious Mên-An-Tol. This structure is much more strange than the Quoit for our eyes. It is a three part structure which makes pretty much the design of an IOI. Two rocks stand like menirs and the one in the middle is a graciously shaped stone with a hole in the middle of it. The “why” and “how” still remains a mystery, but the whole figure functions as a little alignment, which bring me some relief...




Mên-An-Tol

After that I still had the chance to get to the remains of an old tin mine around, which looked a lot as an old medieval structure but it was actually from the XIX th century. The work conditions of those people should be really bad, when you look at it. there are dozens of these kind os structure around here, and by the look of them, they run out of the business a long time ago...



tin mine

Back in town I get a bus to Land’s End, the legendary coast of Cornwall. When I get there, I asked an old man to confirm if I was in the right place and he said, “yes, that’s the end of England”.

land's end

the first and last house
In the way back I still could see a circle of stones and two menirs not very far, in line. That was the first Ley I could see with my eyes.
Looking at the skies all day long I could see lines all over, from some planes. I always get suspicious about those lines in the sky...

Additional:
Penzance mean pen+sans, in old cornish, holy head, or holy end.
The flag is a white cross over a black background

Nenhum comentário: