sexta-feira, 4 de setembro de 2009

london days

London Days

20, 21, 22...

Westminster Abbey

As I arrived in London, I had to move to my new house (Maria Mencia’s place) and rearrange my economical situation. The place is quite nice, is quiet and close to a cemetery. We are in Dulwhich, which is close to Brixton. It is good to be in a calm place. When I go to London I feel a bit uneasy. The city is so crowded, there are so many people everywhere all the time, that it really makes me confused. But London has good collections, so I can take the time to see some of them, organizing my research and writings and plan new trips. I have this idea of going to Holy Head, maybe south Ireland and Scotland. There are some places nearby I would like to go. So, there’s still a lot to do.

So I will not be very strict in this time, because I am not really traveling, but I will return to the old style when I take the road again.

This little building called my attention: it gets close to Victoria Station and it looked a lot Roman to me, although it would be quite unlikely, as the city passes through so many transformations along the centuries that would be impossible this little building remain untouched. However this was a starting point to me in London.


little building in lower grosvenor square

the decoration looks pretty much roman

Yesterday – the 21- I went to the British Museum, and it was a really good choice. They have a good collection on Celtic and pre historic artifacts, apart of texts and maps, so it was good to see – and eventually touch- some of those objects.


British Museum

the flint industry last for thousands of years

an ancient "mill": as the first crops came imported by the East, new technologies had to be adapted to local realities

the first farmers would clear and divide the land, and some of their efforts are seen even today


some bronze age objects are still of unclear meaning like these stone drums

...or these stone balls

these farmers would create the most famous monuments to celebrate their dead and important time passages

depending of their beliefs the bodies would be cremated or buried

reconstruction of a bronze age village

the work with metal spread fast throughout British Islands

and bring new settlers

these shields were not strong enough for battles, they should serve to ceremonial purposes




the bronze and iron age witnessed new kinds of art in england


that's when appear the first weapons


and the fortifications



copper and silver found in England




that's when the Romans arrived in Britain and explored the area for 4 centuries

I acquired a book about the Celts, as it gets the time to get more informed about people in Britain pre Roman. Actually I feel like I am studying all Britain’s history, and I am enjoying that. As I’ve been writing the blog a lot of new information arouse, so it’s good to have this time.

the druids as imagined by 19th century scholars

2 comentários:

skrimshander disse...

don't stop till you get enough... mano, continua, continua. quero saber essa história celta aí...

Eduardo Verderame disse...

só paro quando o dinheiro acabar!